Sunday, April 13, 2014

How much is quality education in the Philippines?

My cute niece is turning 4 this year and she’s getting ready to go to school. Her mom and dad found a good pre-school near their place and they are gearing up towards sending my niece to a brighter future through good education. Of course everything goes with a price tag.

A few years ago I had the opportunity to talk to a colleague who is sending his daughter to a primary school. He told me that his daughter’s tuition fee was 30 thousand pesos plus uniform and books. On top of that he also gives his daughter a daily allowance.

I was dumbfounded when my sister told me that my niece’s tuition fee is at 50 thousand pesos. This amount does not include uniforms and other miscellaneous expenses. At the back of my mind I was thinking, “So how much would it cost us if we are going to send our child to school?”

Raising a child is no easy task. I’ve seen my sister’s struggles (and also my brother in law) to provide better life for my niece. I also commend our parents for raising us well.

Well, according to the law it is the parent’s obligation to provide education to their children. In order to do so, proper financial planning is a must. Parents need to know how to project how much college education will be. They must plan and create a strategy in order to give what they are obliged to provide (according to the law.) The 50 thousand I was referring to is still for pre-school. How much more for college education?

To clarify a point, our views and perspectives about quality education are different. For some parents, it may mean sending their children to expensive and reputable schools. Other may prefer not so expensive ones. For me, as long as my child to be is equipped with proper knowledge in order for him/her to succeed in life then I will be satisfied. J

Click here for more tips on saving up for your kid's education.

No comments:

Post a Comment