Saturday, June 18, 2011

Eating what is in Season

I love Philippines because of its tropical weather. It’s always perfect for a vacation. People are warm and friendly and food is very cheap. That’s why I don’t want to leave this place to stay abroad and work there for a very long period of time.

Fruits are very abundant here in the Philippines that’s why they are cheap. There are also a lot of fresh vegetables to choose from.

Every time I go to the supermarket or the dry market, I take time to inspect and get loads of these foods in my basket. I choose foods that are in season to make sure that my healthy meal will still be within my budget.

In replacement to meat, I buy tofu. It’s cheaper yet gives me the protein I need. It is also in the market all year round.

I also eat a lot of fish. I eat fish when I crave for meat. It’s easier to digest and it also gives me protein and other vitamins. I just need to be very versatile with this since I tend to buy just two types – milkfish and tilapia. I think I need to explore more on squid and shrimp next time.

There are a lot of choices in the market. Just make sure that you will not get tired of what you are cooking. Try some healthy alternatives rather than buying something over the counter. Cooking is a great therapy. Enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment